Home     About     Training     Expats     Business Trips     Teams     Know-how     Case Studies     Contact

   Disclaimer    Privacy Policy    Terms and Conditions                                                                Join us on                                                                               

Do you have responsibility for a multicultural team? Do you work with colleagues or customers from other cultures? Are you relocating to live or work in a different culture? Are you relocating international staff into the UK?



Business Trips


 Know-how from the experts…                 

   Services for Business


Business Practices



Domestic Support














Harwell Campus


Legal matters

When you are moving to live and work abroad there are many legal matters that you should be prepared to organize:

Many of the above activities can be researched online or at your local embassy or consulate in your home country.

It is important that you check the legal requirements of going to live and work in your chosen host country at the time you start planning, as this will ensure that you are aware of the time that will be required to get work completed and that you obtain up to date information, as the rules can be subject to change at any time. Visas to some countries for example can take a lengthy time to process and cannot be expected to be handled overnight.

In the case of legal document storage such as wills, house deeds, power of attorney, etc…It would be advisable to seek the professional service of a solicitor, who can also handle the process of making your will.

Power of attorney can be useful to obtain for use when married, so one of you can make decisions if the other is out of the country. If you are single you could choose someone you trust to represent you on important matters while you are abroad.

You may have chosen to rent your property in your home country for the period that you plan to be away. If this is the case then you may wish to consider using a rental agency to handle the process for you, if handling on your own as this can turn out to be difficult, time consuming and stressful. There are also legal and tax implications.

You should also be aware that you will be required to prepare a UK tax return for rental income and any other income earned in the UK if you are a British national, even though you may be residing and paying tax in another country - your host country. Other country nationals may have other tax rules to follow. In some countries individuals pay tax on all worldwide earnings, and some countries have a double taxation policy. It would be advisable to talk to an accountant prior to renting your property to be sure of the tax rules that will apply to your individual case.

Are you planning to live and work abroad?
Need to know more?

For more information contact expatknowhow at +44 (0)1235 855 236 or click here to email us