Do you know how to pack?
- Be clear on the type of trip you are taking and therefore what may be needed with regards to the location, weather type, airconditioning, walking, entertaining, health needs etc…..
- Plan the best type of luggage to use case/backpack and properly label and ensure the case is easily distinguished with a strap, ribbon or colourful tape. Many cases look the same when waiting at a conveyor belt.
- Be clear on what items you may be able to buy that are cost effective when you get to your destination.
- Plan your wardrobe; try to create a capsule set of items that can be mixed and matched and easily interchangeable and also try to choose items that do not easily crease or are easy to wash.
- Try to minimise footwear/bags by choosing a neutral colour that will go with everything.
- Plan your items and find a dedicated space to lay them out in advance of the trip. Or if space is an issue put the items in the case/backpack loosely as you think of them so they are all in one place when the time comes to pack.
- Be clear on airline weight restrictions and carry on rules. Check the airline website.
- When packing; place the heavy items at the bottom of the case (shoes/wash bag etc.) so that light items are on top and don't get crushed.
- Decant or buy small items of toiletries, many makes today have travel size options.
- Make use of shoes and heavy items at the bottom of the case by filling with socks/underwear/swimming costume etc…
- Wherever possible pack clothes in a tight roll and pack into a space tightly, this will minimise creases and crush marks.
- If space is a serious issue then it may be worthwhile to vacuum pack some items.
- When going to a cold country wear any heavy items boots/coat onto the plane to save the space and weight in the case.
- Be prepared and always have a spare change of clothes and any spare glasses, medicines or contact lens solutions (be clear on the airline liquid restrictions) etc.. in your carry on luggage, as these may be needed in case the flight is delayed or you miss a connection or if the cases don't arrive at the final destination.
re you planning an overseas trip or going to live and work abroad as an expat?
Need some help on how to prepare?
For more information contact us by calling +44 (0)1235 855 236 or click here to email us